Monday, December 21, 2009

ALFREDO SAUCE


Our family loves homemade Alfredo Sauce, but I started
to worry about all of those extra fat & calories!


So, I decided to experiment a bit and came up with a lower fat version.


I have found that this sauce tastes just as good as the "high fat version".
I really think the key to the great flavor is the garlic.
I used to leave it out, but it gives the flavor a great kick!


1/2 stick of butter

1 pint half & half

2 tsp minced garlic

1/2 package shredded parm. cheese.


Combine garlic, half & half, and butter in a small sauce pan.

Heat through on high heat until butter is melted.

Slowly add parm. Stir until melted/boiling for 3-5 minutes.

Pour over cooked noodles.

Top with chopped Parsley.



and here is the original recipe:


1 stick butter

1 pint heavy cream

1 package shredded parm. cheese

garlic optional




I have also tried other versions, using fat free half & half,
low fat margarine, and the parm. cheese you get in the green container.
I would not recommend using these ingredients. It does not "bond" together as well, and makes the noodles kind of 'soupy'.
You can serve this alone (as a nice vegetarian meal),
with grilled shrimp, or with grilled chicken.
Don't forget the Garlic Bread!


No comments: