Saturday, December 20, 2008

SECRETS TO GREAT COOKIES

Most of these tips I have found out after YEARS of trial and error.
I love to experiment, and I have thrown away batches of cookies that have turned out horrible (much to Wes' dismay...I have now promised to let him taste the yucky or burnt cookies.....After hearing "you aren't going to throw these away are you???" for years and years)

TIP #1:
Bake your cookies at 350.


It may take a minute or two longer....but this temp just seems right for my recipes...even if it calls for 375. The ONE exception would be the Snicker Surprise. They are best at 300. (that is what the recipe calls for)

TIP #2
Bake all of your cookies on parchment paper.

I know the stuff is expensive, but it is totally worth it. It makes pans SO much easier to clean. They just turn out great each time....no overcooking, no burnt bottoms, and no PAM spray needed.

TIP#3
Don't be afraid to experiment.

What I mean by this is don't be afraid to go 'off' the recipe a bit. Throwing in an extra egg or some extra flour is NOT the end of the world. I never measure salt or vanilla....just dump some in!! If you put in too much liquid, then add some extra flour. Dough too sticky?? Add an extra egg and some flour until it stiffens up. Sometimes the best recipes are the ones played with a bit.

TIP#4
Use room temperature butter, margarine and crisco.

Having these at room temperature just makes better cookies. I used to microwave EVERYTHING straight out of the fridge, and the cookies would turn out flat EVERY TIME....then I started listening to Paula Deen. She was right :)

TIP #5
Use your favorite chocolate glaze.

You don't ALWAYS have to follow the chocolate glaze recipe that comes with that particular cookie or cheesecake. My favorite one is very simple...Melting regular chocolate chips. Scoop the melted chocolate into a ziplock bag, snip off the end, and away you go!! I have used this glaze for years and years. I like it because it dries firm and then you can stack your cookies. I have found that alot of glazes stay soft/moist to the touch. You cannot stack your cookies for storage, or if you make a sharp turn in the car, the cookies will look crummy before you get to your party :) (we learned that one the hard way)


TIP #6
Pick your favorite recipe and stick to it!!

The oldies are usually the goodies.....I have been using the same cookie recipes since before there was an internet to search on. I love to try new ones too, but I have to make the family's old favorites each year. Everyone has their favorite cookie, and everyone should be included!!



ENJOY!!!

No comments: